Saturday, April 20, 2019

Ready For Easter

Many of my friends compare notes about aging and we all seem to have the same or similar problems.  This morning I woke up at 6:10 in the morning. Instantly, I knew I was late. My plan was to go to the seven o'clock mass on Easter Sunday. I jumped out of bed like I was twenty years old, took a three minute shower, got dressed, splashed some makeup on, and out the door at 6:40 a.m.

Knowing that Easter mass is always crowded, I kicked myself for not setting my alarm. I would probably need to stand through the whole mass but at least I was going to be at the seven o'clock mass.  I was meeting a friend and after mass we were going out for breakfast. I had told her I would save a spot for her. There weren't too many cars on the road and I made every green light. I turned into the parking lot and was greeted with an empty lot; not a one car could be seen. I tried to rationalize that maybe the mass would be at 7:30 though that didn't make sense because another mass would begin at 8:30.

I looked at my watch, maybe I had looked at it wrong and I was an hour early.  Nope, my watch was almost hitting seven o'clock.  Why didn't I check the bulletin? Luckily I did not call my friend, though I felt like calling and asking why there was no seven o'clock mass.

Leaving the empty lot I started back home, puzzled at how I could have made such a blunder. Then, like a butterfly landing on my brain I knew instantly what was wrong. It was Saturday and not Sunday! Now, the very thought that I would confuse the days is both confusing and worrisome. How could I have thought it was Sunday? And why couldn't I have figured it out sooner? Maybe because I had been to church two days in a row and my brain thought this could be a trifecta!

In a way it was funny but the words dementia, Alzheimer's, old age, forgetfulness, stupid, etc. passed through my brain. Whatever it was, I will never know; just a case of a mistaken identity day!

Sunday morning.
Opened my eyes,
clock says I'm late, 
Jump out of bed,
rush to get ready
 make it to an
empty parking lot 
to find out it is
Saturday, not Sunday!

1 comment: