Monday, April 8, 2019

Sin Street Social Club

Some of the Young At Heart group of Spirit of Christ Catholic Community attended a play at the Arvada Center on April 7, 2019. We wondered what kind of play it would be with a name like Sin Street Social Club. The beginning has a nun praying so I thought, it can't be too bad! It had some risqué parts but most of it was crazy and fun. Most of the "naughty" parts were left to our imagination, though words like whore, prostitute, cad, syphilis and sex were used! In a brochure about the play I found this paragraph: Many characters throughout the play engage in debauchery, drunkenness and are quite open with their sexuality, some using it as their business. There is a spectrum of uncouth behavior in the play...

I enjoyed the play and found myself laughing in certain parts, yet, as I looked at some of the faces in the audience it did not look as if they were appreciating the play. It is a comedy of love and sex and I was surprised to learn that a play, The Rover, had been written by a women named Aphra Behn in 1677. The modern day writer, Jessica Austgen, moved the story to 1916 and Mardi Gras and named it Sin Street Social Club.

The Black Box Theater is a three-sided auditorium and the characters make sure that they face and speak to all three sides of the room. I would think that it is more difficult than having to act on a stage facing the front.

I was able to get a few of the persons in our group together for a picture, though many escaped and are not in the picture. Out of  the fifty persons from our group that attended the play. The ones pictured below will make it into my blog!


1 comment: