Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

Yesterday, on September 10, 2019 a group from Spirit of Christ Catholic Community rode the RTD bus to the Botanic Gardens. Even though many of the plants had faded or were on the way out for fall, there were still some blooms to see. I looked for the sculptures scattered throughout the garden. Some I liked and others made no sense to me, yet I know they must have made sense to the artist!

The young woman in the large skirt and large sleeves was titled Infanta Margarita by Manolo Valdez and I thought it was quite clever.  Maybe because it looked like a young woman in a bouffant dress and big sleeves.


 The statue of two people which I thought were dancers happened to be called Trust by Kendra Fleischman and it was one person trusting that she would be caught as she fell backwards.
 Study for the Whistler's Muse by Auguste Rodin was a bit more difficult to get the message but it had to be special because Rodin had done The Thinker and I like that sculpture!
 Five men in the middle of a weedy field drew my attention because I wondered what they could possibly represent. The artist was Steinunn Thorarinsdottir and the exhibit was called Light. I read the plaque explaining about the five androgynous figures with circles of light on their chest. The light changes as the day light moves from morning to evening.


The sculpture called Shadow of a Woman by Peter Ambrose made me wonder how it could have that title. It certainly did not look like a woman. I took a picture of my shadow and thought, now that is what a shadow of a woman looks like!





Two Standing Women by Francisco Zuniga had a blurb that the title draws attention to their feet but I am not sure why. The sculpture reminded of  Southwestern art.



 The odd sculpture of The Sphinx by Joseph Csaky and refers to mysterious woman. I could sort of make out a woman!

The entrance had the large sculpture of a woman hugging herself and possibly in deep thought about some thing or other!








This sculpture I liked yet it may have been a regular work of art that is always at the Botanic Gardens. I would have called it friends!


After seeing so much art, I happened to see a large stone with a green sculpture resting on top of it. I took a picture of it and you can decide if you think it is art! I would call it Tangled Lights!

"It is not hard to 
understand modern art. 
If it hangs on a wall
 it's a painting,
and if you can walk around it
it's a sculpture."
Tom Stoppard

1 comment: