Saturday, September 21, 2019

CauIiflower & Broccoli Save the Day

Six months ago I dropped my hand held remote garage door opener and 50 million parts scattered all over my driveway. We, it may have looked like a lot of parts but there were about six or seven on my walk. Even though my hand held remote was destroyed, I still had the remote on the frame of the garage. It now meant I had to go through a few extra steps to open the garage door;  back out my car, park my car, get out of my car, use the wall remote to close the garage door.  When I return from my outings, I have to do the same process, only in reverse.

I have procrastinated and not called a garage person to connect the remote that I purchased for about $45. I  could have done it myself but it would entail me climbing up a ladder and at my age I refuse to climb anything! Our weather for the past month has been in the upper eighties and one day around three o'clock the garage door would not open. I became a prisoner in my home until around five thirty. I tried the remote again and the door opened. Since that day I learned that after 2:30 my garage door will not open and after 5:30 or if it is cloudy, the door will slide open. Somehow with the sun hitting the remote, the heat keeps the remote from working.

Yesterday, I had an important meeting to attend and at 4 p.m. I was ready to leave and the garage door would not open. How could I have forgotten to get my car out of the garage before two-thirty? I panicked. The car trunk had everything I needed for the meeting so I couldn't even call a friend to come get me or even Huber because I needed what I had in my trunk.  I called the president of the club that had been working with me for the meeting and she asked her husband. His suggestions was to put ice cubes in a bag and hold them over the remote to cool it off.




I did not have ice cubes but I did have cauliflower/broccoli frozen vegetables to I grabbed the bag and stood in the hot sun for about ten minutes while holding the frozen packet over the remote. Nothing happened. I was sending prayers to God, and to the saints, asking for help as I continued holding the frozen vegetables for another ten minutes. And then it worked and the garage door opened. I backed the car out and got out of the car to close the garage door and the garage door would not close. Back into my house I ran, got the frozen veggies, and back to holding the bag over the remote!

After about eight minutes the garage door closed. I kept thinking that women may think we can handle all problems but men seem to know handy secrets on how to fix problems!

Now I know that I have to get my car out before 2:30 in the afternoon and if I return and the sun is bearing down on the remote, I have to wait until after 5:30 to put my car away! It's interesting to know that high heat will keep those inner workings on my remote from working. But, I now know  the secret on how to open the garage door and that is a big relief!

1 comment: