Sunday, September 29, 2019

Grape Stompers

Remember watching Lucy Ricardo in the episode where she joins a woman to stomp grapes in a large vat? It is a funny show as she stomps and dances in the grapes until she and the woman end up having a fight and rolling around in the grapes. Yesterday I was invited to my first private party of grape stompers.  When my five friends and I arrived to the home in Longmont the whole scene took me by surprise.





A large yard with many beautiful plants and flowers greeted us and about seven large tables had many persons sitting, drinking and eating. The mood was happy and everyone was friendly as we were introduced as "The Chicks." That is the nickname we call ourselves and my friend's cute granddaughter made us laugh when she said, "They don't look like chickens!"




One table had twenty or more bottles of wine for everyone to enjoy. Since I am allergic to sulfites one man poured me a small glass of his own manufactured wine without sulfites. He told me that sulfites are known to cause headaches and I told him wine with sulfites causes me to wheeze. We then enjoyed our wine without sulfites!

A band was set up with terrific musicians and they played while everyone chatted until it was announced it was time to do some grape stomping!
The ten foot long rectangular inflatable kiddie pool was filled with grapes and the first ones to begin walking around in the juicy grapes were the small children. Teen agers were to go next and then the adults. Only two of the "chicks" were brave enough to stomp as the rest of the "chicks" enjoyed watching the stompers!







 After the grapes were danced, walked, scooted, and stomped on they were put in barrels and taken to a machine that would separate the stems from the grapes. It was an interesting process watching the beginning of wine making!

One of my favorite pictures was grandpa with his granddaughter. He seemed to be working on a special project while she ate and waited!
A fun and interesting afternoon as we met people, talked to some, ate delicious food, drank good wine, listened to great music and thoroughly enjoyed the Grape Stomping Party! I am beginning to see that Italians really know how to enjoy life!

"Beer is made by man.
Wine by God."
Martin Luther

3 comments:

  1. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, the music was really great,the food delicious and the yard and setting gorgeous. It seems that the "Chicks" have become a little famous because many of the people we were introduced to said, "oh you are the Chicks". I started out the day feeling grumpy but after taling, eating and listening to music I was really in a better mood. I did not join the two Chicks who stomped because my balance is not good and I could just see myself face down in those juicy purple grapes. Then my mood wouldn't be so good again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about the comment Birds of a Feather Don't Always Stick Together removed! I do like the comment she posted after removing the first comment!

    ReplyDelete