Friday, May 21, 2021

A Miracle At Mass

 I attended a funeral mass on Wednesday, May 19, 2021, at Holy Trinity Catholic Church. It is a large church and I sat about mid-way to the altar. When the Polish priest stepped to the altar and spoke to the congregation I could not understand him because he had a deep accent. Along with his accent, the sound system did not carry his words to where I was sitting. I had no idea what he said but guessed as he crossed his arms over his chest he was letting us know who could or could not receive communion.

The rosary led by a Deacon was easy to understand. When the mass began I could not understand or hear the Deacon, the priest, the Cantor or the young man giving a Eulogy of his father. I know I may be in need of hearing aids but my hearing is still able to pickup some words though nothing was reaching me in that church. Suddenly, I felt as if I was under water, everything went silent. Not a creak, a cough or sound made me feel as if I had entered a silent world. I thought it was strange at how silent the church became and then I heard the consecration. Every word was clear and loud. "This is my body." was said over the host and "This is the cup of my blood," was said over the wine. I heard those words clearly and then the world returned to normal. I could hear people moving, shuffling, mumbled words from the altar, and a few clearing of throats.  That sad thing is that I could not understand anything of what was being said on the altar. I am sure it was a beautiful mass and how I wished I could have followed the prayers and comments. Later I heard that toward the front of the church it is easier to hear and people seating toward the front had no problems hearing. Live and learn is a great saying!

Yet, I know a miracle happened at that mass and I know God wanted me to hear the words of the most important part of the mass! 

"Every Consecrated Host

is made to burn itself up

with love in a human heart."

St. John Vianney


No comments:

Post a Comment