This morning I felt excited. I took extra care in what I would wear and the feeling I had was as if I was going out on a first date. Waiting for that time when we spot each other and wonder if we will like each other. Curiosity mixed with joy!
After fifteen months I had not been to an actual mass due to the pandemic of Covid 19. I had watched the mass on my laptop, sometimes in my pajamas, and enjoyed it but today was the day that the dispensation ended and I would need to enter the church for mass. We had been instructed, by our pastor, to wear a mask when moving around, like entering the church, receiving communion, or leaving the church. Two sections had been reserved for those not feeling safe without a mask or if they had not yet been vaccinated.
Everything felt different as I parked the car and entered the church. It was strange listening, being present and seeing real life people. The church was decorated in red and white and the music sounded better than on my laptop. Today was the Feast of the Holy Spirit and I thought it was an appropriate time to have people return physically to mass.
Yes, my date made me feel welcome. Receiving the body of Christ after a long absence, made me feel good. Sometimes I do not feel worthy but then I remember something I read: The Eucharist is not a prize for the perfect, but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak. (cf.Amoris Laetitia footnote 351)
A perk of being physically at mass is seeing and hugging friends. Greeting the pastor and just being among other people who believe like you do, gives one a peaceful and happy feeling.
"Our defense against fear,
is the Holy Spirit."
Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila
No comments:
Post a Comment