Yesterday I received a call from my friend who is suffering with Alzheimer's. In the past I knew it was a disease of memory lapses but now I am finding out it is much more than that. She called and when I answered she asked who I was talking to because she heard what sounded like my voice. I told her I was not speaking to anyone and hadn't spoken to anyone all morning. I asked her how she was doing and she said, "Well, I still have all my things."
"What things?" I asked. She said, "I was in the hospital last night!" I asked, "Why?" She replied, "You know what, I have to eat breakfast and get my brain in order." I told her we could talk later and I thought that she was not having a good day.
Her daughter called me and we talked for while about her mom. She told me that they tricked her into going to the doctor because she was hallucinating and they fooled her by telling her that Christine had a doctor's appointment and asked her if she wanted to go for a ride. Gave her medication for a mild inflammation of UTI. Laura told me that she is afraid of her mom and what she is capable of doing. Gave me names of UTube videos on Alzheimer and told me she has ordered a book also for people caring for patients.* Asked me to tell her mom that I no longer drive so that she will accept their taking away her keys and telling her not to drive anymore. She told me about the younger sister who by her behavior can cause my friend more problems. Laura finds it difficult to work and also to worry about what her mother is doing. Told me that at 4 in the morning she was cleaning out the pantry and that she had found the food expired but when Laura looked there were only a few that had expired. On seeing the worms in the carpet she called a counselor and was told to spray and tell her mom, "see, I've sprayed and the worms are gone." There also no worms in the hambone though they did toss them away because it was such a gross picture! While we were talking Laura received a text from her mom about she was going to call the police and we hung up. What a hard situation dealing with someone and you never know if she will be in a together mood or a terrible one!
January 30, 2021 my friend called me. Asked if I had ever hear of a medicine that begins with Sch and possibly quill. She was given the small pill and it knocked her out and Laura had to put her to bed. She mentioned that firemen came to the house and they stayed and talked with her while Laura went to buy her medication that had been prescribed by the doctor. One good looking one with blue eyes asked her questions like where she went to school, where did her husband go to school and she said, "We both went to Manual."
"She wants my car, but she's not going to get it because I called my son and told him I was giving him my car. Since I can no longer drive I am giving my car to my son." She told me she is getting to dislike her daughter. Told me that Laura is the leader and has a strict face not nice like a nurse would have. Called her Nurse Crachett from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I am amazed how normal she sounds and how she remembers the movie. Said that Christine babysits and sits on her big fat ass on the porch. "I am mad," was her comment. "The asshole downstairs took my car away." She told me how she has to lock her door and bought some gadget to put on the door knob so the door can not be opened and they cost about $4.99.
Most of the conversation was normal, just like old times. Repeated that she can no longer drive and gave the car to her son because she has never given him anything and she told him to come get it out of the garage. "I guess since I will not be driving I will sit on my porch and watch people walk by or see the kids roller skating. If I need something I will have Laura pick it up for me or order from a grocery store." Then she said, "I've got to go, have things to do so I'll talk to you later. I said, "Well have a good day." I hope she does have a nice day.
At ten tonight I received a text: None maybe it'll show tomorrow (referring to a picture I sent her earlier). Tired got home awhile ago. We went to dinner with family from Olathe where my sister lives Goodnight...didn't see any photo come in. A smiling emoji ended her comment. I copied a picture taken yesterday of her niece with my friend. Reading a text where she sounds so normal makes me feel better about my friend's situation! I hope knowing that she has a large family who loves her will help slow down her dementia.
*36 Hour Day
............................................................................................................................................................
Monday, February 1, 2021 I texted my friend and she responded with "Who is this?" She then wrote my phone number and I wrote, "Your old buddy Erlinda." She did not respond. Leaves me wondering if she is having a really bad day or is busy and can not respond.
*Teepa Snow, Positive Approach
Somedays a person with Alzeheimers or Dementia can sound so normal and like we remember them and other times you don't recoginize them. Hearbreaking.
ReplyDeletePrayer helps because one feels as if they are doing something to help and it also helps to try to understand what someone with Alzheimer's is going through.
ReplyDelete