Saturday, May 22, 2021

Virtual Commencement

 When my granddaughter sent me the link to her commencement from San Francisco State University I expected to see her in her cap and gown marching up to receive her diploma. When I heard 8,500 students were graduating I knew this would not be a normal graduation like I have attended in the past! Watching virtually I learned many facts about the school and was impressed to see alumni of SFSU have received 47 Emmys, 22 Pulitzer Prizes, 16 Oscars, and 12 Tony awards. A cute alligator named Alli Gator is their mascot. On May 22, 2021 City Hall will be lit up with purple and gold lights. The President, the Chancellor, the President of Student Council, and other speakers gave wonderful, uplifting, encouraging, and complimentary advice to the graduating class. I enjoyed hearing, "Don't be afraid to fail, give back, your education can never be taken from you, this graduating class was resilient and tomorrow will be better because you will lead us!" Other speakers mentioned how difficult this past year had been with the pandemic and how students had to adapt to virtual learning! How proud I am of my granddaughter who managed to finish and get her Bachelor of Arts degree!

The names of all the graduates scrolled on the screen, but too fast, making it difficult to get a photo of her name.  The picture I found for my blog was within the virtual information and I copied it!


Some trivia I found interesting about past graduates: The first graduating class was in 1901; teachers and alums have discovered over 500 planets; Johnny Mathis had a chance to go to the Olympics as a high jumper but chose his music career instead; the water bed was invented by a student; and the artist who designed the Garden of Remembrance (dedicated to the 19 students who were taken out of class and sent to an internment camp) also attended school here. I enjoyed watching the virtual commencement and seeing my granddaughter's name whiz by among many other names! One chapter in her life has ended and a brand new chapter is beginning for her!

A friend was able to capture my granddaughter's name as it sped by and sent it to me!


"There are far, far better things ahead 

than any we leave behind."

C.S. Lewis


2 comments:

  1. Prophetic quote by C.S. Lewis, especally as the long year and few months of Covid seem to be receding. Congratulations to Brenna. Off to the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun time in Carmel by the sea celebrating her graduation.

    ReplyDelete