Sunday, May 16, 2021

Missing My Friend

 It has been four months that my friend was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I miss talking with her. I call her every once in a while but our conversations are not how they used to be in the past, yet it is still nice to hear her voice. Usually she has something on her mind and repeats whatever is bothering her. Her daughter asked me to try and guide her Mom to subjects about what she and I used to do. One day she was going on about the death of a friend and told me the story over and over again.  Trying to distract her from her morbid thoughts I reminded her about when we worked and after leaving the office we would go to a place called La Bola for some huge Margaritas. Her response surprised me when she said, "Erlinda, what has that got to do with what I am telling you about the death of my friend?" Her response sounded so normal that it made me wonder about the minds of patients suffering from Alzheimer's

For Mother's Day I called her and wished her a good day and she wished me the same. It was so normal and it made me feel good.  Of course, the rest of our conversation was a bit disjointed! Her birthday is coming up on May 18th and she will be eighty-three years old. I am right behind her because my birthday is on May 20th and sometimes we would celebrate our birthdays together. Covid put a stop to celebrating last year and I am hoping this year, since we both have our shots, we can meet for lunch. 

Getting no response to my text suggesting lunch, I called her daughter who is her care taker. She explained that lunch would not work since my friend can not be left alone and needs constant supervision. I decided to sent her a birthday card with my picture to help her remember our friendship. She has been my friend for forty-four years and our laughter, stories, and remembrances are slowly disappearing..

 This disease seems to be progressing very fast and it is difficult to understand how some memories are erased from a person's mind. I pray that she will have peace in her life and also that her caregiver can take care of her for awhile longer. And then they move into the next chapter facing them!

"A little bit of me will also be lost

when a friend suffers from Alzheimer's.

Secrets we have shared will disappear,

 and no one in this world

will really know the real me like she did!"

E. Moscoso


This is what I wrote in her card:



May 16, 2021

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my dear friend Louise:

Since you are now two days older than I am, I thought it would be a great time to wish you a blessed and happy birthday! We have been friends for over forty years and I give thanks to God for our friendship. I have so many memories of us hanging together, working together, listening to Jerome and his sax, going out for drinks at La Bola after work, meeting for lunch so many times, sharing our most inner thoughts, hanging out, traveling together, celebrations, and chatting on the phone! My life has been enriched having you as my friend.

Enjoy your special day and know that I love you and wish you peace and happiness as you celebrate one more year. You and I are similar in many ways and I think that is why we became such good friends.

Your "best" friend,

Erlinda

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful Birthday message to her. If only she was able to say much the same thing to you. The secrets aren't lost because you still remember them even if she doesn't.Such a sad disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, when one friend forgets it seems to diminish another friend.

    ReplyDelete