Tuesday, May 4, 2021

An Unusual Movie

Navillera (Like a Butterfly) is an unusual movie because there are no naked bodies, no love making, no smoking, no drinking, no guns, no cuss words and no extreme violence.  Yet, the movie is interesting and covers subjects like family relations, ballet dancing, rivalries among young people, sports, boss and employer problems and Alzheimer. It has acts of kindness, caring for others, humor and loving actions, as well as enough tension to keep the viewer wanting to know what will happen next.

A seventy year old man decides he want to learn ballet, a dream he has had since childhood. A young ballerino is given the job to teach him and is not happy. The elderly man has a loving wife who tends to boss him around. They have three children and a granddaughter and all of them seem to be floundering in their lives. The ballerino's father, a coach, has been in prison for being physically abusive to his soccer team. There is anger between the young soccer players and upsetting scenes between employers and workers.

Watching the many episodes and not knowing what will happen kept my interest. I enjoyed the series and loved the ending. I cried through many parts of the emotional and frustrating acts, but I would recommend this story! It was such a relief to see a movie with no superficial actions used in order to sell a movie. This was just a down to earth story with no need for sensationalism!

In trying to find out what the title of the story meant I looked it up on the Internet. This Korean story was originally a popular webtoon type of story that developed into real characters. 

"I don't care if I lose to reality.

I want to give it a shot a least."

Deok-Chul (Mr. Sim)

No comments:

Post a Comment