A quote in the book, "It is not what enters men's mouth that is evil, it's what comes out of their mouths," is one that I heard my Aunt say in 1953. While working the fields, someone suggested people wash their hands before eating and she said, "It's not the dirt that goes in your mouth but the dirt that comes out that will hurt you." I wondered where the quote originated and it seems that the Bible in Matthew 15:11 states the same thing. "It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of of the mouth, this defiles a man."
As I began reading the Alchemist it seemed like a simple story about a young shepherd. Before long, the story evolved into spiritual thoughts and following one's dream. The story made me wonder what my dream could have been before everyday living took over. As my life progressed it seemed as if traveling or writing could be my legend. The excitement of seeing something new as I travel fills me with a completeness. I suppose I would have to say that following my legend has happened in spurts! I find it odd that in one week two nudges have occurred for me to walk, at least part way, the Road to Santiago. One poke was the movie The Way and the second poke came from reading the Alchemist. Maybe that is my destiny!
A favorite story I like to tell people who think the grass is greener on the other side is The House with the Golden Windows. I don't know who wrote it or where I heard it, but it made sense to me: A little girl would look at the houses across the lake and every morning she would see all the houses on the opposite side with golden windows. She wished she had golden windows on her house also. One day she began walking around the lake to the other side. It took her all day and when she got to the other side, the sun was setting and as she looked across to her house, she saw that her house had golden windows. In the Alchemist, the treasure is found where Santiago begins his journey!
The concept of living in the now is one I like. It is difficult to do because I believe my past and what I think is going to happen in the future seem to over ride the now. A book by Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now, deals with attempting to live in the now. As Coehlo believes, "life is the moment we are living right now." In the story, a phrase is repeated a few times that where your heart is, you will find your treasure.
Treasure can mean many different things and how I wish I could be at the Hallman's Easter dinner to hear if they found their treasure and how everyone chose to follow their very own dream!
No comments:
Post a Comment