Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Pretend Vacation

After writing about the movie, The Way, and seeing travelers walking the Road to Santiago, I was filled with an urge to go to Spain and complete the walk.  I checked tour companies and found out dates and prices. Then, I realized that on a 4.6 mile walk near Estes, I wrecked my big toe and for six months have had a black toe nail. I could just imagine walking 500 miles!  Besides, my knees ache,  my back hurts and I'm on a fixed income.  All reasons why I should stay home!

In order to get the wanderlust out of my system I drove to Golden, Colorado.  Three weeks ago, I had been in Golden for the Buffalo Bill Days and had noticed many bronze sculptures. At the time, a thought fleetingly passed my mind that I would like to return to look at the sculptures more closely.

This morning, I played a tourist visiting Golden (about 12 miles away) and saw the sculptures, checked out novelty stores, saw a few cowboy bars, found a vegan restaurant, a hotel, the river, a bridge, a bread and breakfast, a bicycle shop, a boat store, a hay store, murals, bought water at Safeway, passed Coors Brewery and enjoyed the summer like day.  It was a pleasant walk with no pain! Below are my photos of my pretend vacation!

A 14' sculpture of Buffalo Bill Cody and his daughter welcome visitors to Golden.


A newspaper boy selling
the The Transcript.


                     Large sign over the main street.
Below, a Native American woman with Squash Blossom necklace.  A boy helping a girl get on a horse.  A sleeping bear. A dragon.  A young cowboy. A  huge bear.  A cowboy. A gold miner. A buffalo. An Indian chief.  The beautiful artwork is scattered along the main street of Washington Avenue.
              
                                                

Western novelty store with neat items.

Large murals on building walls.

Loved these bicycle stands where you can
leave your bike.

Clear Creek runs on the north side of Golden and there are places to sit and enjoy the view. Looking south-east, Table Mountain Mesa can be seen from most areas of Golden.

 To complete my pretend vacation, I purchased a souvenir and it has helped to calm my wandering spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment