Green was the color that most of the people attending the dinner chose to wear as they celebrated St. Patrick's Day. I remember when I was growing up that if we did not wear green on St. Patrick's day, we would get pinched! I wonder if the tradition of pinching those not in green is still around today?
It seems the myth of St. Patrick is that he chased snakes out of Ireland though in some of the things I have read, he was busy converting pagans to Christianity.
Celebrations on his day have been going on for years. I remember years ago when an Irishman by the name of McHugh and I were going to the Denver parade. Imagine my surprise when he showed up in green slacks, a green bow tie with flashing pin-point lights, a green top hat, and a green shirt! He looked like a six foot leprechaun! I was embarrassed to be seen with him until we arrived at the parade route....it seemed that everyone was dressed in some sort of crazy green outfit.
There are many sayings, quotes, and toasts on this day and below are a few I like:
As he brought new faith to Ireland, so may he bring to you, a touch of Irish happiness in everything you do....and like the good St. Patrick, may your home and life be blessed with all God's special favors that make you happiest.
You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was!
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad!
May the Blessings of each day be the blessings you need most!
St. Patrick's Day is a fun day to wear green, celebrate, try green beer, drink some Irish coffee, eat corn beef and cabbage, listen to bag pipers and watch Irish jig dancers. It's a day to go out and enjoy being Irish for a day!
June, a green-haired friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment