Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Guardian Angel

Snow is beautiful to look at
but horrible to drive in!

Sometimes, something happens that makes me realize that someone is watching over me. I began thinking of my granddaughter playing volleyball, just like my daughter used to play, and I remembered a game I attended in Evergreen, Colorado.  It had been cloudy all day, snow was predicted but as I drove to the mountains everything was dry.  I don't remember if the girls won or lost.  What I remember was leaving the gym and finding twelve inches of snow covering everything.  Cars were buried, windshields had ice, it was cold, and I knew I had a long ride home.

A father of one of the girls on our team helped me clean my car. "Gee, it looks awful," I said. He agreed and said that he would follow me all the way to Arvada so if anything happened he would be able to help me."  I thanked him and slowly pulled out of the parking lot.  I saw his headlights pull out  behind me and when I got on I-70 I could see it was a mess.  I creeped along, keeping one eye on the headlights behind me.  It made me feel safe knowing he was following me.  Cars were spinning out, some had landed in a ditch, many were stuck in the deep snow, there were a couple of fender benders but I continued my slow drive down the slick highway.

Colorado Winter

My hands gripped the steering wheels tightly, I was sweating, my head ached from the tension and I was afraid I would end up in an accident or in a ditch.  The only thing that gave me consolation was knowing the Dad was following me.  As I reached the street  where I would turn to go home, I honked and waved though the snow was coming down so hard I doubt he could see my wave. I wanted him to know I appreciated his being behind me. He honked back and soon I was home, safe and sound.

About three hours later, my daughter arrived and said, "They closed I-70 because there were too many accidents and the bus had to come down the back way. It usually takes 30 minutes and it took us almost four hours!" I was happy we were both home safe.

At the next game I found the father that had followed me down the treacherous road. "Thanks a lot for following me, I never would have made it if you hadn't been behind me!" He got a surprised look on his face and he said, "I didn't follow you.  As I was leaving right behind you, I was stopped and told that we all had to follow the bus down."

I don't know who was behind me but I choose to believe that it was my Guardian Angel following me on that icy highway and making sure I got home safely.  The honk I heard was probably my angel giving me a God be with you farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment