In 1956 I put on my white cap and gown.

I would be graduating from Greeley High School along with 225 other seniors and some of those graduates had been with me since Kindergarten. When I try to remember my high school years, I find it odd that I don't have a lot of memories. Two teachers stand out; Mr. Joseph Irons and Mr. Fred Kotesky. Irons taught economics and Kotesky headed the school newspaper. Once when I was ill, Mr. Kotesky came to my home and sat on the edge of the bed while I wrote an article for the paper. I remember Spanish class and how I had no problems speaking the language but struggled with the grammar. I do remember that we were State Basketball Champions in 1956 under Coach Jim Baggot. I was a member of the Pep Club and recall my outfit of a black skirt, saddle shoes, white sox with the tops rolled to make a large bulge around my ankle, (the bigger the better), and a white wool sweater with a wildcat on the front. Those early morning practices were killers as we arrived before school began. We joined the marching band in their formations as we pranced around the dark field. I learned to type in high school after my Mother rented an old Underwood typewriter. I played intramural basketball, volleyball and softball and my nickname was Moose. Those memories seem so few for three years of high school.
A few days ago I received an envelope in the mail. On the upper left hand corner I saw "Cats of '56"

and a cheerleader holding two large pom poms. The letter came from the Class of '56 Reunion Committee. I have never attended any of the reunions but I thought maybe this one might be interesting and fun to attend. I dug out some photographs of many of my classmates and could not remember knowing them even though they had written nice things about me on the back of the pictures. I figure that those I did remember must have made some sort of an impression on me.
The schedule for the reunion and what we would be doing encouraged me to want to attend my fifty sixth reunion. I would get to see my home town with all its many changes. When I lived in Greeley, 8th Street and 8th Avenue were two main streets. Shopping took place within a few blocks of this intersection. I remember a J.C. Penny, Montgomery Ward (we called Monkey Wards), Joslins, a jewelry store, Denver Dry Goods, a furniture store, Jone's sporting goods, some restaurants, an auto dealer and two 5 & 10 cent stores, (Kress and Woolworth), a bowling alley, the Camfield Hotel, the Post office, the State Armory (where dances were held) and a drug store.
Mom gave me 35 cents for a hot lunch at school but I would go to Brannan's Grocery store, not too far away from the school, and buy me a slice of lunch meat for 3 cents, a bun for 2 cents, something to drink for 5 cents and that would be my lunch. I then had money to stop at the bowling alley after school for a Green River (I believe it was probably water, green dye and sugar) and sit enjoying the sweet drink with my friends. Dill pickles or sunflower seeds would also be purchased with the left over lunch money.
Graduation night I tasted my first pizza. I remember sitting at a round table talking about what we were going to do with the rest of our lives! At that time, we did not know what was in store for us, how many dreams would be fulfulled or what we would become. As I read the information again, I thought it might be fun to return to Greeley to find out what
really happened to everyone in the Class of '56!
No comments:
Post a Comment