Burrito Romance
T'was November second,
our one year anniversary
and I was filled with warm thoughts of my date.
We had been together almost every night
and I was beginning to wonder if he would be my fate.
The weather was frightful; I was hungry and tired.
I passed a Burrito place and thought about a quick stop.
A burrito, in a hot chili sauce, would surely hit the spot!
Devotion to my friend made me continue on
through that horrible storm and day light almost gone.
I rushed home to prepare a dinner for two;
a dinner to share
now that we had become a pair!
I baked, I cooked, I cut up veggies and could hardly wait
for my special friend and hoped he wouldn't be too late.
The storm raged, yet the kitchen was cozy and warm.
When the phone rang, I picked it up
and in my ear I heard, "Hi, I love you."
My heart fluttered. His voice sounded great.
"How was your day?" Asked my beloved date.
I told him how my day had been and started to tell him
to hurry, our feast was almost done.
I heard him say, "The roads were bad, lots of snow,
so I stopped and had me a cheese burr-rit-toe."
I found it difficult to breathe as a lump formed in my throat.
My heart went cold as I turned off the stove.
"Why? Did you not think that we might eat together,
especially on our anniversary night?"
"No, I was hungry and a burrito sounded good.
I really thought it would be all right."
Why did those words have a familiar ring?
Hadn't I heard thoughtless words before?
Who would have thought that a burrito
would break the spell
and send the romance straight to, well,
it was clear to me, that when a burrito is more
important than me, that I am better off
being foot loose and fancy free!
E. Moscoso
November 9, 1990
No comments:
Post a Comment