Monday, March 12, 2012

Cataracts

The eye is the jewel of the body.
Henry David Thoreau

A bright light, air puffed into my eye and now I am asked what letters I can see on the eye chart.  "None," I say.  The doctor flips some lenses to the largest letters and those I can see though they appear a bit hazy. I blink and squint to see if I can clear up the letters. More clicks as the doctor raises the power of the lenses. What has happened to my eye sight?

"You know that you won't pass your driver's license test," she says, "you have cataracts." After explaining that a cataract is a clouding that develops on the eye lens, light not focusing on the retina, and how this will cause loss of vision, she wanted to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.  I hesitated.  Maybe, she was wrong.  I would get a second opinion.  A stronger prescription might correct my eyesight.

Four months later, I knew stronger lenses would not help.  Even though night driving had been a problem for me now I noticed it was worse.  Lights that had been blurry before now were fuzzier. Signs were impossible to read.  I practically had to be on top of a sign to see it. I realized I was doing "memory" driving by relying on what I remembered in the past. In church, I no longer could read the large cue board hanging on the opposite wall.  Not too long ago, I could close one eye and see the words with my my good eye.  Now, neither eye could make out the words. Writing scrolling on the bottom of a television program could no longer be read.  Entering a store became difficult to see items unless I was fairly close. I relied on seeing familiar shapes or colors. 

Mornings appear to be worse because I have problems focusing through blurry eyes. It seems as if my eyes get better as the day progresses. I have never worn glasses while at the computer or reading  and that has not changed.  Distance is my problem. "How do you drive?" I was asked by friends when I told them about my cataracts.  "If it's big, I'll see it," is my response.  I notice I squint more.

Another appointment, another round of tests, and again I was told I should get the dreaded cataract operation. The procedure was set for the end of March and everyone who has had it done tells me, "Nothing to it."Takes about fifteen minutes."  "Piece of cake." "No problems."  "Can see better than ever." I am not looking forward to having the cataracts removed, but the comments make me feel better.

A booklet, Understanding Cataracts, proved to be helpful in understanding what I would be going through. Incision in the eye, removal of the lens, insertion of artificial lens, eye drops and then I should have better eyesight. Sounded simple enough. That takes care of my left eye and after a month the right eye will go through the same procedure. The question is:  Will I really see better?

Originality is simply a pair of fresh eyes.                          Truly light is sweet, and a pleasant
Thomas W. Higginson                                                              thing  is for the eyes to behold the sun.
                                                                                                                           Book of Ecclesiastes

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment....I know it will be okay but you know me...I worry anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete