Monday, March 3, 2014

Fried Chicken

"The best comfort
food will always
be greens, cornbread
and fried chicken."
Maya Angelou
 
In the past, there was a restaurant on the way to Canon City, about mid-way between Colorado Springs and Canon City that served meals family style.  Bowls were placed in the middle of the table with mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, biscuits and delicious fried chicken. I ate there a few times but it was quite a ways to drive for chicken, though when I did, I enjoyed  the crispy and good tasting bird.  When the White Fence Farm Restaurant in Lakewood was introduced to me, I fell in love with their fried chicken. Before serving the fried-to-perfection chicken, small dishes of Cole slaw, pickled red beets, cottage cheese, red beans and corn fritter balls come first. When one gets a fill of those dishes, the chicken is then served with potatoes (mashed) and gravy.


The ambiance is like a huge country estate with many dining rooms. Each room displays antique pieces, a fireplace, large bouquets of flowers and interesting pictures on the wall. Not only does one enjoy a good meal but the atmosphere is pleasing to the eye.

Connected to the the dining rooms is a country store with many items to be purchased.  I saw different and interesting pieces for sale from homemade quilts, candy, Christmas decorations, toys, jewelry, hats, pet gifts,
Colorado paraphernalia, greeting cards, and old fashioned clothing. A large room with  round tables, covered in oil cloth, is set up for patrons to listen to live country and western music. Upstairs is a game and relaxing room. It appears that every inch of the walls is covered with something.

Outside one can ride a carriage pulled by a huge Belgian draft horse. Visit a petting zoo at the O.K. Corral. Play in the playground. Visit the gazebo. Sit in rocking chairs and enjoy looking at old farming equipment. Visit other novelty stores. What a fun place to visit on a Sunday to enjoy the food and look at the many
items for sale. Yesterday I met a friend and had enough chicken to bring home to enjoy today.

There are talking chickens and roosters.  It's funny how those talking chickens recommend that beef or fish be ordered.  Old carriages are placed in certain rooms for everyone to enjoy the nostalgic time of a past era.

As far as I know the restaurant on the way to Canon City closed down years ago so that leaves the White Fence Farm the only place where I can enjoy deliciously fried chicken.



No comments:

Post a Comment