Friday, March 14, 2014

Irish Soda Bread

In my past, I had heard about Irish Soda Bread but had no idea what it was or how it tasted. The other morning I was speaking with an Irish friend who is busy because her husband is in the hospital. She was telling me all the things she had to do to prepare a meal for St. Patrick's Day. Corn beef, cabbage, potatoes and Irish Soda Bread. "I am at the hospital from morning to night and but I will have to find a way to make the bread. The corn beef I can put in the crock pot so that's no problem."

That night I wondered what Irish bread was all about. I googled it and up came many recipes of Irish Soda Bread. I had most of the ingredients in the house so maybe I would try it and surprise my friend.
In the morning when I called to ask how her husband was doing I said, "How about if I prepare the bread for you. You could cross that off your list of things to do." She was thankful and readily agreed.

Irish Soda Bread on Simply RecipesI found many recipes on the Internet ranging from regular loaf bread to round rough looking bread. I picked a recipe that didn't seem to difficult and today I baked my first Irish Soda Bread.  I do not know what it tastes like but it has sugar and raisins in it so it has got to be a little bit sweet. Flour, baking soda, buttermilk, egg, butter, and caraway seeds are some of the other ingredients. I followed the recipe and the finished product looks pretty much like the picture on the Internet. Not quite, but fairly close. Mine is the picture on the left and the Googled one is on the right. After it cooled I packed it up and took it to my friend's house along with the recipe. Now I will wait for her to give me a thumbs up or a thumbs down on the Irish Soda Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment