Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Death of a Friend

Linda Downs Madeline GomezOn Monday, the 17th of March, 2014, I received a phone call from a friend letting me know that a mutual friend had passed away. It was a sudden death that no one expected. In fact, I was planning on seeing her on April 10 for dinner and a play. Now, I was being told she was gone. The shock of hearing the news made it difficult to believe.

Linda Downs Madeline Gomez was born on March 20, 1948 and died on March 17, 2014. She died at home three days before her birthday. I wonder if she had plans to celebrate her birthday? The saying that we should always be prepared because we do not know when our time to meet our maker will arrive, is so true.

I knew Linda from the time we both worked for the Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Denver as paralegals in the 90's. She was a social person and always fun to be around. When she left Legal Aid, she started her own business of fiduciary services advocating for the elderly and the disabled. For years I did not see or hear anything about Linda.  About two years ago, I received a call from a friend asking me if I wanted to join a group of women every other month for dinner and a play or movie. Linda was in that group and I was very happy to see her again. It surprised me that even though many years had passed she looked the same. It was fun catching up after all the years that had passed. One of the things I remember about Linda is that when she hugged you, you knew she meant it. Her sense of humor, her kindness, her interest in other persons made her a special friend. And now she is gone.

I am so glad that I got to spend time with Linda and to share a bit of our lives with each other. Now, I will say my good-byes to Linda on Monday, March 24, 2014, at the Rosary and Mass at St. Jude Catholic Church. My heart will be heavy but I will cherish those special memories.


Monday, March 24, 2014.  Linda's ashes were in a silver container in front of the altar along with her photograph and flowers. Mass began after the Rosary and after Mass I got to see Gina Weitzenkorn, Linda Olson, Kathleen Mullen, Linda Lopez, Pat Richmond, Bernie Poskus, Mary Catherine Rabbit, Randy Smith, and John Holland.  What a pleasant surprise to see them after thirty some years! I also saw friends who are in the photos above. Fr. J. Darrell Schaffer, the celebrant of the Mass, spoke about how it does not matter what we look like on the outside, but what is in our heart that matters. I thought the words explained  Linda. Her body may not have been a model's body, but her heart was full of compassion and love for her family, friends, workers and clients.

Rest In Peace, Linda.  You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment