This morning, as I did my exercises by moving my ankle left, right, up, down and all around, I wondered if my dancing days were over. After falling seven months ago and breaking my ankle in two places, it still had a stiffness to it. Dancing, to me, had been fun, a social function and good exercise. Dancing four or five days a week was common for me and my dance nights included Latin, Country and Western, Ballroom, and West Coast Swing. One of the most different and fun was learning dances popular in the 1920's. It was like going back in time because I learned to do the Charleston, Tango, Castle Walk, Turkey Trot and Waltz. The Waltz in the 20's is quite different than the modern day waltz.
The culmination of learning the different dances of the twenties, ended at the Columbine Ball and Tango Trot

held in a Denver ballroom. I was given a blue dance card with a small pencil attached to it where I could list my dance partners. The dances listed on the card were: Waltz, One-Step, Tango, Turkey Trot, Contradance, Fox-trot, Castle Schottische, and Grizzly Bear. Not only was the dancing fun but I was fascinated by the old-fashioned costumes.
It was a very entertaining night and I felt as if I had been transported to another era. The music could be classified as Ragtime or jazz and most of the dances were pretty energetic. Dancing the Grizzly Bear and the One-Step was a challenge, yet quite enjoyable!
"When you dance,
your purpose is not
to get to a certain place
on the floor. It's to enjoy
each step along the way."
Wayne Dyer
No comments:
Post a Comment