Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Bee and the Beetle

A special bee had a dream.
She wanted to be a swimmer
and one day win a gold medal.
That will be the day,she thought
when I win a gold medal to
wear around my neck.
She asked the Queen Bee if
she would excuse her from work
so she could train.
The Queen Bee shook her head and said,
"Bees do not swim, but if this
is something you need to do,
then I give you my permission."
She flew over many homes until
she found a pool where she could practice.
It was a quiet pool with blue water
and no one seemed to be using it.
She landed on the water and began to practice.
She swam back and forth.
A large, black beetle sat on a floating hose
and yelled at the practicing bee.
"You're a silly bee," the beetle said, "bees
don't swim, they just make honey."
The bee looked at the beetle.
The beetle changed colors.
When the sun hit it just right
the black turned into a florescent green.
It looked as if the beetle was outlined
in shiny emeralds. It's bulging eyes
watched the bee.
"I have always wanted a gold medal
and I intend to get one, said the bee
as she swam past the beetle.
"I don't believe it is necessary
for a bee to get a gold
medal, but good luck to you!"
Suddenly, two giants appeared
by the pool. One giant had a huge
net that was run across the water,
scooping up anything that floated.
Back and forth, back and forth.
When it caught the bee the net was
shoved to the bottom of the pool.
The bee held her breath.
And held her breath.
And held her breath, until the net
came up out of the water.
The bee took one big gulp of fresh air
before she was again taken to the
bottom of the pool.
When the bee thought she could not
hold her breath any longer, the net came
out of the water and she was dumped on the ground
underneath a large palm tree.
I will never win a gold medal, she thought.
I am not allowed to practice in this pool.
She waited for her wings to dry and
flew back to the Queen Bee. She told
the Queen Bee the story of the two giants
and the huge net.
The Queen Bee nodded her head and
and said, "We will have a contest to see
who can hold their breath the longest.
We will see if you are special
or just the same as all the other bees. 
Many bees entered the contest but no one
could beat the bee that had been held under
the water.  The Queen Bee gave her a gold medal
made out of honey.
The bee was very happy.
She proudly placed the medal of honey
around her neck and everyone who saw
it, knew that she was the best.
"I'll be right back," she said
as she darted away.
The bee flew around until she found
the black-green beetle.
"See, I have my gold medal,
Just like I always wanted. I
just want you to know that I am special."
The beetle smiled and said,
"You are a very special bee.
Who else would have tried swimming
when bees do not swim.
Who else would have been submerged
in water and lived?
And who else would have returned
to show me a honey medal?
I could have told you that
you do not need a medal to show
the world how special you are."

The bee flew away and the beetle
crawled under a large leaf.  And
that is the end of the story of the
bee and the beetle.

Written for my grandchildren
sometime in the 90's.
E. Moscoso


No comments:

Post a Comment