Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Imagination Can Be Scary

Sitting on my couch, reading a book while the house was quiet, I heard a noise that sounded as if it was coming from one of my walls or the roof. It wasn't a rattle or thump sound, but more like a soft dragging. Something like when it begins to hail and hail rolls off the roof. I opened the venetian blinds and could see the black tail of a blackbird and a long skinny twig hanging down. The finger-size twig was hanging from the eave about two feet. I thought that maybe the bird was fixing a nest and then I saw the twig move. The bottom curled up like I've seen a cat's tail curl. I realized the "twig" was a living thing and my guess is that it was some sort of snake! I rapped on the window, but neither tail or snake moved. I decided to get a picture of what I was seeing and went to get my camera. By the time I returned to the window, and before I could get a picture, the skinny snake was pulled up and the bird's ragged tail disappeared.
 
My rugged drawing is pretty much what I saw when I looked out the window. The bird's tail was raggedy looking, black and about two inches wide. I do not know how big the bird would have to be to pick up a live snake or snake like creature. The creature was grey and hung motionless except for the tip curling up. From now on, any noise I hear on my roof, will make me uneasy.

Now, did the snake have a bird or did the bird have the snake? Do birds even eat snakes? Could the bird have thought it was a giant worm?  And, what were they doing on my roof? I went outside to see if I could see anything, but all I could see was my television dish. Is there a hole in my roof and birds are dropping snakes into it? Is there some sort of nest being built using live snakes? What if the snakes get into the house? What if the bird is like a python and swallows snakes whole? My imagination was getting carried away because in all probability,  the bird could have flown away with the snake in its mouth, couldn't it? I heard no more noises, the house was silent again, but I just couldn't concentrate to read anymore. I just wanted to listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment