A few days ago I received a birthday present so that I could check my DNA and find out my ethnic background. Inside the box my first instruction was that I should not eat, drink or chew gum for thirty minutes before taking the test. There were three packets inside and a play by play instruction card with pictures. The first thing I had to do was to activate the Kit online.
I tried to do it but when I couldn't do it on my own, I called Ancestry DNA and spoke to a kind and patient person by the name of Taylor. Step by step he instructed me on what I had to do until I was able to enter my 15-digit code. Evidently, the code is what links the sample to me.
Once the activation took place, I was ready to proceed with taking the sample. The two inch tube is where I would spit saliva until it reached a "wavy" black line and it shouldn't include the bubbles! A cap was provided to put on the tube. I twisted the lid, as instructed, until a blue liquid was released. The blue liquid was to stabilize the DNA in my saliva. For at least 5 seconds, I needed to shake the tube and then place it in the collection bag. The bag then went into the postage-paid box included in the Kit. Once my sample was ready for mailing, I drove to the Post Office and mailed it. Now, all I have to do is wait for the results.
I have heard that in my family there may be Spanish, Native American (Apache or Cherokee or both, Mexican, French, and Italian. There is a slim possibility that German could be included (so a cousin told me) but I doubt it. Though, I am curious to see what my DNA will show!
No comments:
Post a Comment