Thursday, May 22, 2014

In Memory

Since Mother's Day was a snowy and cold day, I did not get to take flowers to the cemetery until this past week. It seems that every time I drive to Mt. Olivet, I see more and more gravestones. If I actually begin to think about all the people who are gone, and have been buried, it is quite shocking. My first stop are my two aunts because their grave is near the entrance. I then drive to where my parents are buried, somewhere near the statue of St. Anthony. I would think that as many years as I have gone to Mt. Olivet I would be able to find their grave sites, yet it takes me a while of reading names on small, medium and large monuments, before I see the grey stone with Rodriguez etched into it.

A short prayer, a long thought, digging a hole to place the flowers and I sadly walk back to my car. There is so much I would love to tell those that are gone, face to face, but I know that will happen only when I am also gone. For two days the weather has been ugly, with tornadoes, hail, wind, and torrents of rain so my guess is that the flowers have been shredded or beat to the ground. For a few days, those bright flowers represented my love and attention. From now on, my love and attention will be in my head and my heart and I hope in their souls!











"I've learned that people will forget
what you said, will forget what you
did, but people will never forget
how you made them feel."
Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment