Friday, May 16, 2014

Tables Have Turned

Ever since my grandchildren have been little I have taken them to different vacation spots, to dinners, lunches, museums, the zoo, swimming, celebrated holidays, movies, and area entertainment. I tried spending as much time as I could with them.  I love the time spent with them and it is a pattern both acceptable to me and to them. This morning I received a text from my granddaughter.
I was pleasantly surprised because when I saw her last week she asked me what I was doing for my birthday. I told her I was busy and she quizzed me about a good time to get together for my birthday. I thought it was nice of her to think about me and my birthday but it still surprised me when I got the text today.

Grandchildren have a way of growing up and one day, without even realizing it, they turn the tables on us by becoming more thoughtful, kind, generous and planning a lunch.  I am looking forward to seeing her and spending time with her. This is the first time that an invite has come from her and it makes me happy for her thoughtfulness, yet, I do not like that she spend her own money on me.

Grandchildren fill a 
place in your heart you
 never knew was empty.
On Pinterest


At one, I picked up my thirteen year old granddaughter to go to lunch.  We debated on Italian, Asian, Mexican, Indian, or American food. Mexican was chosen and Chipotle was picked.  I suggested driving to Boulder's Chipotle and then going to Trader Joe's. She agreed and treated me to a super, huge burrito, picked up some things at TJ's, and stopped at the Dairy Queen for dessert. I had a banana/strawberry Smoothie and she had a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard. I tried to pay but she said it was her treat for my birthday. I did not like having her pay but I also knew she wanted to do it so I let her. I kept thinking of something I read about accepting a gift gives both the giver and the receiver a good feeling. It was a fun afternoon and I enjoyed celebrating my early birthday with my granddaughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment