Monday, May 19, 2014

Returning From The Dead

In 2007 I watched Celene Dion sing a song standing next to Elvis Presley and he had been dead for years. Last night I saw Michael Jackson perform a song on the Billboard Music Awards. The appearance of a dead artist is a phenomenon made possible by having them appear in a hologram.  I decided to find out just how holograms work and after reading the Internet article three times, I still do not understand how it's done. I will continue to think that it is magic! Wikipedia explanation: ...three dimensional images (holograms) by using laser, interference, diffraction and light intensity recording a suitable illumination of the recording. The holographic recording itself is not an image; it consists of an apparently random structure of either varying intensity, density or profile.  Huh?


Watching Michael Jackson perform on the the Billboard Music Awards last night left me in awe. He has been gone a few years and yet, there he was singing and dancing via a hologram. During the awards show I heard different songs, watched many dancers and saw the many artists but that hologram of Michael Jackson was a big surprise and a somewhat magical moment. I found out that there have been other persons, living or
dead, that have used this method to be in more than one place at a time.

When it was announced that a man had landed on the moon, my Mother questioned that a man had actually landed on the moon. She would say, "With the many tricks that they can do with cameras, I think they are fooling us."  Maybe she was aware of holograms!

If someone who has been dead can be reproduced as if he were alive, should we care when a star dies? They can be "reincarnated" in a hologram, as if the person had never left this earth! We could have the star be around forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment