Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Four and One To Go

A few weeks ago I went on a reading binge. One of our book club selections was titled  Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer. The story ended abruptly with no answers to the mystery. I was very disappointed and mentioned it to a friend. Her reply was, "It's a trilogy and you have to read the rest of the books to find out what happens to the Clifton Family." I ordered the next two books and when I finished the third book I was left hanging as to what was going on. I looked up Mr. Archer's bio and among his many books, the Clifton books are in a five book series. I ordered the fourth book and will order the fifth book once the price comes down. I was able to get the first four books for $3.99 each but the fifth book is around $27.00. I either have to pay the extra or wait until that fifth book also comes down in price.

The Standly library in Jefferson County had good news and bad news when I checked to see if they had the fifth book. "Yes, we have 25 books that are out, and we have 28 persons waiting for it."

For the past two weeks I have been reading non-stop. While I eat my kindle is in front of me, if I go to the bathroom I take my Kindle with me, if I go on errands I take a few minutes to read before the light changes, and even at a movie, I do not watch the previews because I am reading. I figure I have read 1537 pages so far and by the time I finish the Clifton mysteries I will have read 1952 pages!

Archer has a way of writing that has me addicted to the story. Page after page I think I know what will happen and then a big surprise pops up. I like how he separates each chapter by different members of the family. The fourth book is covering his twenty some year old son Sebastian. Many other characters are in the stories and some you hate and some you love. Archer calls the five book series, The Clifton Chronicles.


If you decide you want to read the interesting and exciting stories, begin with the first one which is Only Time Will Tell. Followed by The Sins of Our Fathers, Best Kept Secret, Be Careful What You Wish For and the last one (I hope) will be Mightier Than The Sword.

In some respects I am a very patient person, but not in this case. I need to find out what happens to the Clifton Family and today I have ordered the fifth book through Amazon for $12.99 (a bargain) and in a few seconds it will be on my Kindle I will find out, once and for all, what happens to the Clifton Family!

My assumption of the Harry Clifton series ending was so wrong. As I finished the fifth book I was informed that book number six would come out in 2016. A whole year to wait to see what happens to all the characters I have come to know so well.


2 comments:

  1. It keeps you buying his books! That's good marketing as well--

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know and now I am going to read Kane and Abel and from what I hear, it is also a series. Do I want to get involved with another book that continues and may even go into infinity?

    ReplyDelete