As usual, trying to get in and out of the parking lot was a nightmare, though the men directing traffic do the best that they can. Even though I went early, there was still a confrontation between the seven o'clock mass people and the eight-thirty people arriving. After I found a parking spot I joined the many persons already in church. I found a seat but noticed that some persons were standing in the back. I could see empty areas that were being saved. It upsets me to see people saving spots for their relatives. In church, I believe it should be a first come-first serve basis.
Some choir members wore large spring hats, little girls had head bands with large flowers, men were wearing suits, while some were in jeans. As I looked around I could hear a constant murmur among the congregation. Words were indistinguishable and at times sounded like ocean waves, a flock of birds, or trees rustling in the wind. I couldn't help but think that on this perfect Easter morning it was like one, big, happy family. It no longer was a cold Easter Sunday, but a holy and warm one.
My attention was drawn to the rays of sunlight coming in from the east windows. A feeling came over me that Christ had surely risen and those rays represented his being in heaven. As I saw smoke-like swirling in the rays, I tried to see if an image like a dove, sheep, cross, etc. would appear. Nothing appeared but the rays themselves were spectacular to see.
Our pastor gave a stirring and beautiful sermon beginning with A Tale of Two Cities and tying it to love and mercy. "Christ showed us love and gave us mercy." I felt a twinge of sadness on this wonderful Easter morning because this would be the last Easter sermon our priest would give at Spirit of Christ because he was moving somewhere south. Then, I perked right up when I thought, hey he is not dying, he will still be around, he's not going that far away, so there's no need to feel sad!
When he asked the questions that are asked at Baptism, the people answered, "I do," in loud, firm voices. It was exciting to see the many persons who believe in their Catholic faith. Before giving the final blessing, he said, "Since the sermon was on love and mercy, please show your love as you leave and find yourself in traffic and show mercy to those who get in front of you!"
He is risen! Alleluia!
No comments:
Post a Comment