Visiting a friend today who is recuperating from an operation, I noticed she had a small blanket wrapped around her shoulders. "Did you make the blanket," I asked, because it looked very much like blankets she had made for my grandchildren when they were babies.
"No, this is a prayer blanket," she replied, "my sister-in-law from St. Louis brought it to me." I asked, "What is a prayer blanket?" She told me the blankets are made by parishioners in churches for ill people. I was curious and I went directly to Google to find out more about the prayer blankets.



I found out that Muslims call the blanket they kneel on to say their prayers, a prayer blanket. I also learned that Christian churches make blankets and those working on the blanket say prayers for those suffering from grave illnesses. The blankets are sewn with love and prayers for those who will receive the blanket. The blankets are blessed by a priest and every thread of the blanket is a request for healing. The blankets bring peace and comfort to those who are ill because they know they are not alone. How comforting to know that a blanket, much like a small quilt, is full of prayers from those working on the blanket to the one that is ill. Another version of the prayer blanket, other than a quilt like blanket, is to crochet or knit one. Usually a small prayer of healing is attached to the corner of the blanket.
I do not know if Spirit of Christ Catholic Community has this ministry but I think it would be a beautiful project for those talented and creative persons in our parish.
"I can do all things through
Christ who gives me strength."
Philippians 4.13
No comments:
Post a Comment