Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Eight Blocks Away

How lucky am I? A few blocks from where I live stands the Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities. Many functions take place at the Center and I have been fortunate enough to attend some of them, like plays, musicals, and art shows. The Art of the State 2016, a juried exhibition of Colorado, opened on January 21 and will be there until March 27, 2016.

I visited the Center a few days ago and loved the work of some of the artists. My all time favorite is an oil called Rob that I would have sworn was a photograph. What a realistic work of art!

Two unusual works of art made me smile. Would I have ever called them art? I have seen such bundles of cardboard at the Arc or Goodwill centers, yet Dayana Ruiz, the artist, called her 1/2 ton of compressed cardboard, Human Summary.

 The round cork-like circle with Mao's red book in the center is titled, The Weight of a Little Red Book. I found this to be attractive, realistic, frightening and an outstanding work of art.


 Rhinos Battle with the Sea Urchins was all in white, puffy material like balloon type figures.
The graphic art on other walls left me wondering what it all means! I find it hard to understand some graphic paintings!


As I was leaving the Arvada center, a bench caught my eye.  As many times as I have attended functions at the Center, I had never noticed the hands on the arm rests! Makes me think I am not too observant.

No comments:

Post a Comment