Saturday, March 26, 2016

An Innocent Man Dies

Crucified Christ at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community is not as gruesome as others I have seen. I can look at this cross with Jesus on it and feel bad but not horrified. Yet, through Netflix I received The Passion, directed by Mel Gibson, and after ten minutes I could not watch anymore. The beatings, blood, bruising and insults were too much for me. It wasn't just the bloody face and body of Jesus, but anyone getting beat up like that would have turned me off!  I can't even imagine the pain that He would have been feeling. I do not like violence and Christ's crucifixion is extremely violent. I remember a Jesuit explaining to a class that any man being treated as Jesus was would not have been able to survive such brutality to his body.

At Spirit of Christ on Good Friday, services begin at nine in the morning with The Lamentations of Jeremiah followed by Objects of  the Cross
at noon. I did not attend those services but did go to the one o'clock service (reflections of men and women who were present at Calvary) and the two o'clock, Tenebrae (darkness or shadow), The Seven Last Words of Christ. Every time one of his last words were read, a candle from the nine candle holder was put out. The last words spoken by Christ were:

"Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing" Luke 23:34
"I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise." Luke 23:43
"Dear woman, here is your son." John 19:26
"My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? Mark 15:34
"I am thirsty." John:19:28
"It is finished." John 19:30
"Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands." Luke 23:46

I have heard that in some places when the last candle is snuffed out the church is in total darkness while people meditate about Christ's death. That would be very effective.

The Prayers around the Cross and the Veneration of the Cross I did not attend but I am sure they were as moving as the services I did attend. Now, we wait for the empty tomb which is celebrated at the Easter Vigil on Saturday evening. Sunday everyone dons spring outfits (if it doesn't snow) to celebrate Christ's ascension into heaven.




Wishing my readers a
Holy and Blessed Easter season!

No comments:

Post a Comment