Friday, March 11, 2016

I Know What I Like

On April 26, 2012, I wrote a blog titled, Peace Corps Types and how I admire those persons that are helping the poor and those that have no one to speak for them. How young people go to foreign countries to try to better situations in third world countries.

Today my opinion has not changed. About three weeks ago, I saw a documentary about Justin Trudeau, the Prime Minister of Canada. I heard him speak and thought, wish he were running for president in the United States.  Among other things, he spoke about bringing in refugees from foreign countries when many countries are refusing to take them. I liked his outlook of trying to make Canada a better place to live. And, he reminded me of President Obama. I got the feeling that the prime minister would make good Peace Corps type person!

This morning, on the news, I saw where he visited the White House and he and the President were friendly, kind and generous with each other. An article I read about the visit used the word, "affectionate" meeting of the two men. This time my thought was, birds of a feather should stick together.

Politics today are scary. When I hear some of the bad mouthing between candidates running for president, I get an upset feeling in my heart. Our country seems to be going down a bad path when there is no respect, no fear of consequences and down right dirty politicking! Maybe it has always been this way but I feel as if campaigning has gotten out of control.

On the other hand, I enjoyed reading the friendly poking fun at each other at the dinner by two good-looking heads of state. Another article mentioned that President Nixon, on his visit to Canada many years ago, had toasted the four month old Justin by saying, "To the next prime minister of Canada!"

Of the many quotes, these are two that show why I like these two men!

"My fellow Americans, we were and always
will be a nation of immigrants.
We were strangers once, too."
President Barack Obama


"Canada has always been there
to help people who need it."
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau"

And then, of course this quote from the Bible.


"Love does no harm
to a neighbor,
Therefore, love is
the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:10



1 comment: