On Sunday, in the middle of a heat wave, I decided to attend the 51st Greek Festival. The last time I had gone to the Festival was about twenty-five years ago, and it was nothing like the well-organized and expanded Festival of today. Blue and white dominated the booths and there were many more than I remembered from the past. Entering the air-conditioned building the first thing that caught my eye was a large statue of Neptune and a mermaid. The greenish, scaly and life size statues were amazing. I wondered how the monument of the sea had been brought in for the people to see.
I took some pictures and as I was having my picture taken I saw the mermaid blink. "Oh my," I exclaimed, "it's a real live person posing as a mermaid." The motionless mermaid never moved again and it certainly looked like a stone statue. I took a dollar and slipped it under the statue's hand and she blinked, bowed her head, nodded and reverted to her original position.
My picture behind Neptune's body was taken while he was on break! Two friends stand behind the display of make-believe statues!
No comments:
Post a Comment