What surprised many of us was the size of the Amazon. It was mentioned that when on the river, land could not be seen on either side. I commented on how the beginning of the book was slow moving and boring with his tedious descriptions of the jungle, birds, monkeys, crocodiles, and trees. "But," I said, "when I got to the part where they are taking a trip to an imaginary (or maybe true) place the story picked up and became interesting." His descriptions of the perils they encountered, the indigenous people he met, and trying to stay afloat on the dangerous river made the last half of the story full of suspense and excitement. By reading the book one got a taste of dangerous whirlpools in the river, wild animals, savages, vampire bats, colorful butterflies and giant ants. I found that the author had a sense of humor and some parts made me laugh.
An article on Facebook about the author made me realize that he was well traveled, was an author of both fiction and non-fiction, had won literary awards, had been married three times, and he was born in 1927 and died in 2014. One of his well known books is The Snow Leopard and I am putting it on my list to read.
"The river is everywhere."
Hermann Hesse
Wasn't he born in 1927? I didn't finish the book, but I must admit that after the book club discussion and reading this blog, I think I will finish it!
ReplyDeleteI have corrected his birthdate to 1927. Thanks for pointing that typo out. I am also finishing the book plus want to read the Snow Leopard.
ReplyDeleteI might have to wait on that one!!I was interested in African Silences!
ReplyDeleteI finished watching Fitzcarraldo: Special Edition about a rubber baron wanting to build an Opera House in the Peruvian Jungle. Much in the movie reminds me of Matthiessen's descriptions.
ReplyDeleteDidn't he mention an abandonded Opera house? Not sure if it was in Peru or Brazil??
ReplyDelete