Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Sing This Song At My Funeral

I do not plan on leaving the land of the living soon but I do have a song from a Disney movie
I would love to have sung at my funeral. I know the Catholic church has rules and regulations about what is appropriate for a funeral service. This song has nothing to do with religion but I just happen to like it!

It all began when I took my grandchildren to see it's A Bug's Life; a Disney-Pixar movie. The movie was cute and I purchased the book and sing along cassette. The tunes are lively, clever and cute. Somehow, the cassette was lost but yesterday I found the book with the words to the songs. I got on Amazon and there was a cassette for sale for $13.00 and I ordered it. An e-mail has informed me that it has been shipped and should arrive toward the end of the week.  I must have patience!

When my grand kids were growing up, I had a playroom for them at my house. After seeing Disney movies, I would try to get the stuffed doll or animal pertaining to each movie.  Woody and Jessie from Toy Story were played with a lot and Boo from Monsters, Inc. was another favorite. The blue, stiff figure of an insect was not a favorite because you couldn't cuddle with it. Yet, he was cute sitting on a shelf!

The songs on the cassette are High Hopes, Grasshopper, I.N.S.E.C.T., He's a Kick! That Walking Stick, Star of the Show, Ladybug, Flea-Ring Circus, Roly-Poly Rock 'n' Rolly Pill Bugs, I Just Wanna Fly, and The Ugly Bug Ball. I like all the clever songs with lots of rhythm but my favorite is I Just Wanna Fly. It is sung by a tiny ant. I remember thinking back when I first heard it that it must be like when someone dies and gets their angel wings.  Some facts in the book about the ant are: A queen ant is that only ant that grows wings. Ants can move things much bigger and heavier than themselves. If ants were the same size as human beings, they could lift 240,000 pounds!

Music and lyrics by Will Robinson @ 1998 Will Robinsongs  (BMI) Seven Summits Music for I Just Wanna Fly.


Look up there
at all that blue sky
and open air
I hear it calling me
to leave the ground,
take a breath and aim
for the clouds.
I think I'm ready
as soon as I knew I'd have
long pretty wings
I started dreaming
on only one thing.

Chorus:

I just wanna fly
I really wanna fly
and feel the wind
rushing all around me.

For somebody so small
for somebody who
once could only crawl
it's funny how I feel
the sudden need to
to take off and go
soaring peacefully
through the sky
I just wanna fly.

It sounds absurd
But I wonder if I'll miss
the grass and dirt
as I rise above
I know I can't
forget the fact
I'll always be an ant
No matter what

But soon I knew
I'd have long
pretty wings
I started dreaming
of only one thing.

Chorus:

I just wanna fly
 I really wanna fly
and feel the wind
rushing all around me.



To think that in a book about bugs, I found a song that made be realize that when we die we probably feel the same way as the ant with her new wings.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is a great choice! But I do hope you are not going to leave this world anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete