Friday, May 4, 2018

A Deflating Compliment

It seems that everyone I know struggles with weight; weight gain or weight loss. Ever since I can remember I have dieted, lost weight and then regained some of the pounds back. I recall my Mother telling me that when I was born I "was so skinny that the only thing big on me were my eyes!" Then, I sort of remember having to take Cod Liver Oil to spike my appetite. She would tell me that I reminded her of a pony with knobby knees and she tried her hardest to fatten me up!

Whatever she did, worked because ever since my ninth year, I began gaining weight. The battle began when I was about thirteen and I became aware of dieting. Now that I am older, I don't care as much and figure, what will be will be. Though I do try to stay away from saturated fat and sugar.

That is not to say that hearing compliments about my body doesn't please me. Yesterday, a friend walking behind me said, "Hey, have you lost weight?"  I told her I hadn't. She continued, "Well, it sure looks like you did..." I was just beginning to feel good about her comment and then she finished her sentence, "...your pants are sure baggy!"

"She'd even violated the only sensible rule
of dieting she'd ever run across,
the sage advise of the Muppets' Miss Piggy,
who recommended never eating any thing
bigger than your head."
Susan Donovan



1 comment: