Friday, December 28, 2018

A Catholic Santa

At Christmas Mass at St. Angela Merici church in California I saw something that surprised and pleased me. Right before the Consecration, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something red. Because I was in the middle of tall people I could not see who it was walking up the aisle. What a surprise when I saw that it was Santa Claus. He genuflected at the altar, walked over to the Nativity manger, and knelt down. The church was silent as he prayed and then he got up and walked out the side door.

My regret was that I could not get a photo of this beautiful happening. I did manage to get a shot of him as he exited the church. How I wish I could have gotten a better shot but the one I took will have to do!

How beautiful that Santa's legend had been incorporated with the holy mass. After all, most children believe in Santa and now they can think of Santa paying tribute to Baby Jesus before going out to deliver gifts! I have seen statues of a Praying Santa holding Baby Jesus but this was the first time I had seen Santa during a mass.
     
Santa's Christmas Prayer

On Christmas Eve the other night
I saw the most amazing sight,
for there beneath the Christmas tree
was Santa kneeling on his knee,
His countenance was different than
that all familiar, jolly grin.
His head was bowed, with hand to breast
and slightly tucked into his vest.
For there in a nativity
was Jesus and his family
and as I heard him start to pray
I listened closely to what he'd say.
'Lord, you know that you're the reason
I take pleasure in this season.
I don 't want to take your place
but just reflect your wondrous grace. 
I hope you will help them understand
I'm just an ordinary man
who found a way to do your will
by finding kids with needs to fill.
But all those centuries ago
there was no way for me to know
that they would make so much of me
and all the gifts beneath the tree.
They think I have some hidden power
granted at the midnight hour.
But it is my love for you
inspiring the things I do
and so when they begin to open
gifts for which they have been hoping,
may they give you glory
for You are the Christmas story.' "
Alda Maria Monteschio

No comments:

Post a Comment