Sunday, December 30, 2018

For A Few Minutes I Was Adopted

Sunday morning at mass, the singing was joyful and the priest gave a beautiful homily about families. This year on December 30th the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph is celebrated. At the end of mass and the last blessing, Father gave families a blessing and said, "Families that are together hold each other's hands, hug, and if you see someone alone, include them in your family."

I am used to being by myself and thought nothing of what the priest had said. Suddenly, a hand was put on my shoulder, another hand rubbed by arm, and a few more hands touched my back.  Instantly I became emotional and tears rolled out of my eyes. The family behind me had incorporated me into their family and I was touched. After the prayer I turned and thanked them for including me in their family but even though I would have liked to say more, I couldn't because I was afraid I would burst into tears! That was such a sweet gesture from complete strangers.

Prayer for the Family
Father, we look to your
guidance and order
as the pattern of all
family life.
By following the example 
of the Holy Family
with your son in mutual 
love and respect,
may we come to the joy 
of our home in heaven.
Catholic Votive Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment