I arrived on Sunday the 23rd of December and my granddaughter picked me up from the airport. That in its self is a big joy....to see my nineteen year old granddaughter's smiling face as she pulled up where I was waiting. All around me were people rolling suitcases, leaning forward with heavy back packs, or on their cell phones arranging for rides.
Cars pulled up, loaded passengers and off they'd go. It was a continuous stream of cars picking up and driving off. Luckily my granddaughter found a spot, she took my suitcase, put in in the trunk, we hugged and off we went! The free ways were busy but not enough for traffic jams. In about half an hour we arrived at the house where my daughter and son-in-law greeted me with hugs and smiles! The eldest granddaughter was working so I did not get to see her until the following day.
Because I arrived on Sunday I went to the 12:30 Spanish mass and the male singer had a terrific voice; smooth and loud. The church was decorated for Christmas and the manger had all the angels, Mary, Joseph, shepherds but no baby Jesus. I wondered when baby Jesus would be placed in the Nativity.
It was time to decorate the tree when I returned from mass. Many memories because the majority of the decorations are the ones that the girls made as they were growing up.
December 24th morning was foggy and cold. Though once the fog burned off it ended up being a nice day with lots of sun. My daughter informed me that our Christmas Eve dinner would be Mexican food. The menu would be red chili and calabacitas prepared by me. My daughter would bring out and heat tamales they had made at a friend's home and she would make some rice. My son-in-law would roast green Anaheim or Hatch's (not sure where the chili originated) on the grill and prepare the green chili with garlic and fresh tomatoes. There would be carne asada and chicken to make tacos. For dessert one of my granddaughters made brownies and we planned to have vanilla-bean ice cream over the chocolate brownie.
As I walked home, the houses were decorated with lights and I felt as if I was walking through a dark tunnel lit with sparkling lights! Arriving at the house, it was cozy warm and smelled delicious! We ate, laughed, and talked as we enjoyed the Mexican meal! Most were so full they could not eat dessert, but I did and loved every spoonful!
After the kitchen was cleaned up it was time to open our gifts. The girls handed out the presents, we opened our gifts and as far as I could tell everyone got what they wanted! I know I did!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

No comments:
Post a Comment