Saturday, December 8, 2018

The Closest I Will Ever Get To Cuba

Scrolling through my Facebook a blurb about Seniors Traveling to Cuba popped up. That tickle of excitement stirred within me but I knew I would not travel to Cuba.  A few weeks later I saw that the Denver Museum of Nature & Science had an exhibit about CUBA! Today I decided to go see the exhibit, because I knew it would probably be the closest I would ever get to Cuba.

The brochure advised me to "take a trip to the Caribbean's largest island nation without a plane ticket!" So I did. What color, what music, what dancing, what an old car, and what great photography. The plaza had sidewalks where I could wander and look into a cigar store, a place of worship or sit at tables with Cuban food or games.

The game of choice in Cuba is Dominoes and they are different than ours because they have more spots.





 After watching some dancers who reminded me of Hawaiian Hula dancers because of how they moved their hips and a cha cha dancer with long hair I realized that Cuban music can be quite lively! 




The four dishes on the table were malanga (from root family)  fritters, black beans and rice, ajisco stew, and guava con queso and my guess is that these are popular dishes.




Catholicism is the leading religion in Cuba but there are many other such as orisha (Santeria) and Jewish, Protestant, Muslim, Mormon, and 7th Day Adventists.


Wandering through the streets of Cuba, looking and listening, I really felt as if I knew more than ever about Cuba. I then headed to the IMAX theater to watch a documentary on Cuba and enjoyed learning about the coral reefs, the ballet school, tobacco and sugar cane plantations, and carnival with lots of fireworks, dancing, sports and history!

"I don't want any thing
from Cuba.  I want them
to be free and enjoy the
things I enjoy."
Gloria Estefan



No comments:

Post a Comment