Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Honesty

Honesty implies refusal to lie, steal or deceive. Watching television and some of the court shows I have seen, no one seems to be honest even if a person swears on the bible. Some maintenance men
take advantage of people by charging more than the repair costs. I was at Sprouts and my bill came to eighteen dollars and twenty-two cents. I counted out the money but when I got two dimes out of my coin purse,  I noticed they were two Mexican pennies. Same size and color as the American dime. I wondered if I had been duped or if had been an honest mistake? Those coins really did look like dimes and I had accepted them as ten cent coins.

Yesterday I heard a story of true honesty and it made me feel good that there are still people around who believe in being honest.

I went to a friend's home and a young woman was telling a story. I will paraphrase her words.

 I cannot believe what just happened to me.
I was at Kaiser and happened to go to the
bathroom and took off my ring to wash my
hands. In the commotion of talking to my 
mother and a cousin, we left the restroom and
when I got home I realized I did not have my
diamond ring. I rushed back to Kaiser 
and inquired about the ring. No one seemed
to know anything about it. I prayed to St. Anthony,
and had made up my mind that my beautiful
ring with my children's names behind each 
diamond was gone.



Just then a doctor came by and said that his 
patient, who did not speak English, had given
him a ring because she did not know what to do
with it. He brought the ring out and it was 
the lost ring.



He called the patient out of his office
and told her that the ring belonged to me.
I threw my arms around her and 
thanked her in the one word I know in
Spanish. I told her "gracias," many, many times!

Someone asked the lady why she had
turned the ring in to the doctor and her interpreter
responded , "She says she didn't know what to do with it 
and gave it to her doctor 
because it was the right
thing to do."




I looked at the beautiful ring that seemed like a interwoven ribbon covered in diamonds and when the young woman told me it was probably worth more than a car, I said, "Well you can thank St. Anthony also, because he had a hand in finding your ring!"

"Be a reflection of what
you'd like to see in others.
If you want love, give love,
if you want honesty, give honesty,
if you want respect, give respect.
You get in return what you give."
Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. I have lost my wallet several times in a store and when I realized it and went to lost and found the wallet had been turned in. I do believe that there a big number of people who are honest.

    ReplyDelete