Tuesday, May 4, 2021

A Beautiful Spring Wedding


We began hearing about the upcoming wedding of my friend's son months ago. She kept us informed about the marriage plans, picking out the right color dress for the mother of the groom, and some of the stressful moments in planning a wedding. We virtually saw the dress she ended up buying and we all liked it! She kept us up to date on the bride's mother who had been diagnosed with cancer and everyone wondered if she would make it for the wedding. Finally, a date was set and in the last week of April, the parents of the groom left for Arizona to be there for the April 29th, 2021, wedding.

This morning I was able to see the wedding from beginning to end at the beautiful Ocotillo golf course in Chandler, Az. Flowers seemed to be all over and rivaled the Bride's large bouquet. I watched as five couples walked down the green sloping landscape beginning with father and groom. Men in dark blue, groom in grey,  women in lavender or pink and a doggie with a bow tie.  I was happy to see the bride's Mom in a motorized scooter looking very healthy and happy.

Watching the groom's face as he peeked back to see his bride said it all. What a sweet smile as he watched her approach him. From then on they held hands. A nice touch was when a yellow rose was given to each Mother. The service went well with each saying their vows to each other. I had never met the young man and found him to be handsome, dimpled, and with a sense of humor. When he pulled out a long piece of paper that listed his faults and how he would change we all laughed because it would have taken hours for him to go through the long list. He later clarified his actions by saying the long sheet was blank and he had done it to get a laugh. The bride was beautiful in a white strapless dress with layer after layer of white flimsy ruffles. A granddaughter of a friend had exclaimed, "She looks like a princess!" when she saw the couple dancing, 

An interesting feature which I had never seen before were two glasses of wine and each drank and poured it into a larger glass to represent the joining of the two. In a Catholic ceremony a large candle is lit by the two and also represents the joining of the two families. My friend's daughter who flew in from Hawaii sang a poignant song to the bride and groom. After they were pronounced man and wife and they kissed, the whole bridal party exited dancing to It Feels So Good. My friend walked out with her tall grandson and and her daughter walked out with her father.

I felt as if I had attended the wedding. The videographer did an excellent job showing the viewers exactly what was happening. A beautiful wedding with beautiful people!


"The best thing to hold 

onto in life is each other."

Audrey Hepburn

4 comments:

  1. I loved your description of my son’s wedding. So glad you were able to watch the ceremony. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Betsy but now I have 9 persons who have read about the beautiful wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch it until later, but was really left feeling joyful. It was a special wedding with many beautiful and humorous moments!Perfect looking weather and a happy couple. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to write about happy occasions.

    ReplyDelete