
Today I did not attend mass at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community but went instead to the Shrine of St. Anne. St. Anne used to be my parish and even though I did not see anyone I knew, the statues of the Blessed Mother, St. Joseph, the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mother Cabrini were old friends. I did not realize it was the Feast of Corpus Christi until the priest said that in Latin it means the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist.

After mass there was a procession covering about four blocks. Altar boys with the crucifix let the procession. They were followed by children who had made their first communion at mass. The girls dressed in white and the boys in white shirts with black trousers. The girls carried small baskets filled with rose petals that they dropped along the way. Next, the Knights of Columbus surrounded the priest with the monstrance and the Body of Christ. The choir came next and then the congregation. It was a solemn procession and a police car stopped traffic so the procession could cross the streets.

I wondered if my parish also had a procession and maybe I should have been there to take photographs. I don't question why things happen and something compelled me to attend the Shrine of St. Anne this morning. I did what I like to do and out came my camera to take pictures of the procession..


I was touched by the faithful as they walked and
sang along the way and followed the priest. I later heard that the Pope in Rome also had a procession and my guess is that most churches probably did the same thing today. Shooting rays from the clouds made for a perfect day for a procession!
A Short Novena:
O Lord Jesus Christ,
you who have given us
Your Precious Body and Blood
to be our meat and drink,
grant that through frequent reception
of the Holy Eucharist,
I may be strengthened
in mind and body to do your holy will.
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment