Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Light of the World

I worked at Regis High School when the school was located at 50th & Lowell in Denver, Colorado. While working there I saw many young men in their slacks, collared shirts and shoes. In those days the students did not wear jeans, t-shirts or sneakers. One handsome young man, with dark hair, would come into the office from time to time and I found him to be pleasant, polite and friendly.


Who would have guessed that the young man would become a priest and pastor of Light of the World Roman Catholic Church? Yesterday I visited the new church in Littleton, Colorado. The large church, dedicated on January 25, 2015, is impressive and I saw many works of art.

The Stations of the Cross are around 36" x  24" graphic pictures of Christ's crucifixion. All I could find out about the artwork is that they were painted on canvas by a local artist. When I had visited Light of the World Catholic Church in the past the one thing I found lacking were the traditional statues. The new church is now blessed with many beautiful and unique figures.  Mother Teresa, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Pope John, St. Francis of Assisi, and St. Anthony on side altars. The main altar has Our Blessed Mother, St Joseph, and to the side of the altar, the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

The baptismal font, at the entrance, captures an area where many will become "children of God" when they are baptized. The large rock and water gave me a feeling of being outdoors near a mountain stream.
.
 
The view overlooks the mountains to the west. A friend showed me the Adoration Chapel. A room surrounded in etched glass where adorers can sit in contemplation with the Blessed Sacrament. She took me along a long hallway with rooms named for saints, a stained glass window of Our Blessed Mother, wonderful artwork, and different thought provoking sayings printed on the walls. It is a beautiful church that emits a feeling of warmth and love.
Congratulations to Fr. Michael Pavlakovich on being instrumental in building this outstanding place of worship!

Fr. Michael,  I loved your new church and even though you are twenty miles away from where I live, I will try to visit you again in the future!

"The church is the great
lost and found department!"
Robert Short

No comments:

Post a Comment