Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Island

On Saturday, June 13, 2015, my daughter, my son-in-law, my granddaughter and I caught a ferry to Santa Catalina Island about twenty some miles from the port of San Pedro. The island is usually referred to as Catalina Island or Catalina. The island was discovered by a Portuguese explorer by the name of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo under the Spanish flag.

About one hour and ten minutes later we arrived in Avalon and I felt as if I was in a foreign country. Para-sailing reminded me of Mexico, homes on the hill reminded me of Greece, the shops along the water reminded me of places I have traveled near a marina. Large orange fish swim along the shoreline and I found out they are Garibaldi fish.

We did a little bit of walking, peeking into tourist attraction stores, and ate lunch. Lunch was at a Mexican restaurant called Coyote Joe's Bar and Restaurant. The food  did not resemble any Mexican food I have ever eaten! Avalon does not have its own water supply and when we ordered water to drink it was brought in a plastic bottle.

My son-in-law went off to see about renting a golf cart which is one way for tourists to see the island. Other ways are by regular bicycle, electric bikes, large jeep-like tour trucks, or walking. The noisy golf cart took us up into the hills of Avalon where we could get beautiful views of the marina and town.

On top of a mountain we saw the Wrigley Monument from the gate but did not go inside. William Wrigley, Jr. the gum maker, developed the island for tourist attraction
around 1920. Seeing a sign for a Bird Park we wanted to visit it to see the different birds, but to our dismay it was just an apartment complex. (On the Internet I found information that in 1929 the Bird Park covered eight acres and had 8,000 different types of birds. The park closed in 1966.) All that remains is a pillar with a tile announcing the park that isn't!

I got a big surprise when I went to visit the Casino, Theater and Ballroom round building. A beautiful building overlooking the marina and no gambling! I was told that originally casino meant "a gathering place." We were too late for the tour which would have taken us through a fancy movie theater featuring an old pump organ, a large ballroom, and decorative walls and ceilings. The outside was quite spectacular with huge mosaic murals!


Beaches for swimmers, a zip line for daring folks, shopping, restaurants, kayaking, fishing, para-sailing, and scenery are on the island for visitors to enjoy. We even found a pet cemetery along our way! We looked for the herd of around 150 bison but never found them. I wondered how the bison had gotten on the island and was told that a movie was being made at Avalon and some bison were brought over from the mainland. At the completion of the movie the bison were left behind on the island.

I enjoyed our visit to Catalina Island especially since I was with my family. My older granddaughter worked that day and was unable to be with us. Avalon is a fun place to visit and on our way back on the ferry, my granddaughter enjoyed the cool breeze whipping her hair around!


                    "Good morning all.
                        Have a great day ahead,
                          fight your challenges,
                    be positive
                    and enjoy your 
                  family time"
                         Unknown quote but I liked it.
                    Photos taken by my daughter and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment