Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sand Sculptures in 2015

What a difference two years can make! Two years ago I went to a Sand Sculpture event at the south side of the Arvada Center. A few people wandered around, there was no music, and I silently enjoyed looking at the sculptures.

This year, the event was held at 64th and Simms with parking in the West Arvada High School parking lot. Once I found a spot to park I joined the crowded mass of people in the large area with music, booths, food, drinks, and goods. The atmosphere was festive and I had fun wandering from booth to booth looking at jewelry, original clothing, home repairs, beer, lemonade, sweets and services.

The Arvada volunteer firemen in kilts and green t-shirts greeted me with bagpipe and drum music!
A black canopy with red lettering advertised Cinnamon Whiskey named Fireball. Tastes like Heaven - Burns like Hell!

The gigantic turkey legs and bratwurst booth had people in line to buy the large and grotesque pieces of meat! Funnel cakes were popular as well as any booth with cold drinks.


pThe children's area looked like fun as the slides and jumpers took up space on the north side of the park. A huge transparent ball let me see a child inside making the large ball roll on the grass. Ah, to be a kid again!

And then I arrived at the Sand Sculptures. How sand and water can become a figure, a house, an alligator or a minion amazes me. My favorite was the mermaid with Red Rocks Amphitheater a close second.





 The exhibits, the music and the sculptures were free and will be there today also. I recommend going to visit the sand sculptures but be sure to wear lots of sun screen, drink lots of water, wear sunglasses and do as many people did while they listened to the music; find shade! If you intend to stay awhile to listen to the many bands don't forget to bring a lawn chair.

This is Arvada's Chamber of Commerce 3rd Sand in the City Festival and, to me, it looked like a huge success!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing that the sculptures were made by locals....there was a class before the show to give them pointers on how to work with sand.

    ReplyDelete