Sunday, July 12, 2015

165 Years Old

Today I went to a celebration for Mother Cabrini's 165th birthday party
at the Shrine in Golden, Colorado!

For those that aren't familiar with this saint
here is a short bio:
Mother Cabrini was born July 15, 1850 in Italy.
She founded convents and orphanages.
She came to America in 1889 and eventually found her way to the Rocky Mountain area.
She purchased land that had no water. 
When some of her nuns complained about being without water, Mother Cabrini said, 
"Lift that rock and start to dig. You will find water fresh enough to drink and clean enough to wash." 
People who visit the shrine believe drinking the water has healed them and brought peace to them. 
She died in 1917. I am not sure what her cause of death could have been because sources list a fatal pulmonary effusion, malaria and dysentery as to why she died at the age of sixty-seven. 
In 1946 she was the first American citizen to be canonized. 
She is known as the patron saint of immigrants.

 

Mass was celebrate by Fr. Job, a priest from India and assisted by  Deacon Sid Atencio from St. Mark's Parish. The choir was from Light of the World. The chapel, the extra room and the entrance area were filled with persons attending mass. I have been to the Shrine before and never have I seen so many persons at mass. Mother Cabrini must have lots of followers ready to celebrate her birthday.

After mass visitors from India were talking with Fr. Job and when I asked them if they knew Fr. Jacob from my parish, the priest said he did. I took their picture so I could show Fr. Jacob at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community the lovely visitors from his homeland.
 The party continued with religious articles for sale, raffle tickets being sold and a bake sale with lots of sweets.

Outside, six grills were cooking Italian sausage sandwiches, hamburgers and hot dogs. I liked that no money was needed because tickets were sold. For seven tickets ($7.00) I purchased a sausage sandwich, a drink and chips. There was a booth selling "pickles" giving a lucky winner a  chance to win $125. The country store had salami, cheese, olive oil, or a basket of drinks to be won by some fortunate person! Two friends from my parish were helping at the booth and it was fun to see them.
 
One of those Kodak moments appeared when a couple with four tiny doggies in a doggy stroller showed up. I did not ask the breed but they were so cute and looked at me (with a little help from the owner calling them by name) so I could take their picture.
The festivities included a room where Bingo was being played, a rosary being prayed and later Mexican dancers would take the stage.
I did not stay to see what else would be presented at the party but took the long hike up the hill to where my car was parked. Behind me, the grills were still smoking, colorful balloons were flapping,  people were enjoying the food, and the giant Statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was high up on the mountain!
  

Happy Birthday Mother Cabrini!










"Make a shrine in your heart 
and have your life be an imitation of God."    
Mother Cabrini          
                          


2 comments:

  1. How about this for an idea for a novel--Mother Cabrini who is the patron saint of immigrants searches everywhere for a wealthy business man (who just happens to want to become President of a country) finally finds him and puts him in a baby stroller, plants him on top of the mountain and forgets to set the locks on the stroller--Bye, Bye Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that you took three of my blogs and condensed them into one comment. There are so many ideas that can be incorporated into a novel!

    ReplyDelete