What do you do when something odd and possibly frightening happens? When you realize that in this day and age there are crazy people ready to do harm.? I was waiting at the side entrance at the Shrine of St. Anne so that I could take a picture the relic displayed inside. The 12:30 mass was in session. A scruffy man with a backpack was also waiting. This is the conversation that followed between me and the man.
He: I am waiting to receive communion.
Me: Maybe you should go inside to the mass.
He: I already went to mass but the polish priest did not give me communion.
Me: Did he give you a reason?
He: No I put out my hand and he did not put the host into my hand. Do you think that is right?
Me: I always thought that if you were free of mortal sin you could receive communion.
He: Yes, and how would he know if I had a mortal sin? Is he God? Does he think he is God?
Me: Uhmmm.
He: When you hold your hands out and the priest doesn't put the host in your hand, there is something wrong. I intend to talk to that priest! I am going to report him to someone higher than he is. It is not right.
I could tell the man, the more he talked, was becoming agitated. I wondered what he had in his backpack. Too many bad things seem to happen when someone is upset with anything! Could he have something planned like maybe shooting the priest? I did not want to over react but with the way shootings are happening in the United States, I felt I should warn the priest. Heck, I thought, if his intentions were to shoot someone, I might be the first one he would take out!
He got up and went to the door of the church and looked in. Maybe he was going to see if a different priest would give him communion. I did not wait to find out because the minute he opened the door to the church, I left and hurried to the church office. A CLOSED sign was on the door. I rang the bell two or three times but no one answered though I could hear movement inside. I got on my phone to get the number of the church but couldn't get into Google for the number. I waited for mass to be over and hoped that my imagination was greater than reality. As mass ended I entered the church and looked for the man. He was no where in sight. I did see the priest and explained the conversation I had with the man.
Priest: I know exactly who you are talking about. I refused to give him communion because the man smelled of alcohol and he stumbled and almost fell as he entered the church. I told him I would not give him Communion until he sobered up. I never make judgements but since I had already spoken with him I thought he understood I would not give him Communion. I appreciate your telling me and thank you for your concern.
I had a feeling that I had done something good!
So what do I do when things happen to me on a Sunday afternoon? I get ideas for my blog!
Interesting and a little scary--you were right, these days you never know what someone is capable of doing
ReplyDelete